Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What are students seeing, hearing, saying about their library?


With National Library Week right around the corner, I spent a little time reflecting on libraries I work with. When students walk in do they see a lot of shelves with books and technology? Are there iPads, iPods, computers and stations to collaborate? Are they hearing about the eBooks we have and the fact that they can access audiobooks via mobile devices? Are they hearing that newspapers are beginning to use augmented reality in places like LA? Are they telling other students about the books they check out? Are they talking about what is happening in the library?



The libraries I work with have limited spaces, few resources and no librarians. I advocate every minute of everyday for libraries, librarians, and resources for all. The one thing I wouldn’t change about any of our libraries is the library assistants that work tirelessly in them. With the limitations I have, I do what I can to make sure I am providing what I can for all students. I am reaching out in ways that have pushed me to move beyond my comfort zone. Students may not be seeing, hearing and saying all that I want them to, but I am not giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment